I focus on the questions associated with urban environmental restoration and environmental resource re-use. In collaboration with the restoration efforts of NY/NJ Baykeeper, I research issues related to restoration and resilience in the Hudson-Raritan estuary, which includes the reintroduction of native eastern oysters and study of microbead plastic contaminants.
As Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Rutgers Center for Urban Environmental Sustainability (CUES) I'm responsible for coordination of interdisciplinary environmental research projects. CUES' mission is to bring interdisciplinary academic expertise into the public domain, while providing CUES student interns an opportunity to engage in these "real world" challenges as part of their academic experience (www.cues.rutgers.edu). CUES projects have included recovery of leachate gray water from a NJ Meadowlands landfill, recycling of wastewater biosolids, studies of bioreactor landfill processes, and design of an award-winning Brownfield to Greenfield public park. I'm also Co-Chair of the CUES-Sustainable Jersey Brownfields Task Force that is supporting NJ municipalities as they work to reduce and reuse their Brownfield inventory.
Courses I have taught include Microbial Ecology (graduate and undergraduate) and Introduction to
Environmental Science. I' m also the Managing Editor of Soil Science.
- Hoefer, W., Gallagher, F., Hyslop, T., Wibbelt, T., Ravit, B. Unique landfill restoration designs increase opportunities to create urban open space. Environmental Practice. In Press.
- Drake, L., Ravit, B., Dikidjieva, I., Lawson, L.J. 2015. Urban greening supported by
GIS: from data collection to policy implementation. AIMS Environmental
- Ravit, B., Weis, J., Rounds, D. 2015. Is Coastal Marsh Sustainability Compatible with
the Clean Water Act? Coastal Management 17:46-56.
- Ravit, B., Weis, J. 2014. Clean Water Act Section 404 and Coastal Marsh Sustainability.
Coastal Management 42(5):464-477.
- Ravit, B., Cooper, K., Buckley, B., Comi, M., McCandlish, E. 2014. Improving
management support tools for Reintroducing bivalve species [Eastern Oyster (Crassostrea virginica Gmelin)] in urban estuaries. Integrated Environmental Assessment And Management 10(4):555-565.
- Ravit, B., Comi, M., Mans, D., Lynn, C., Steimle, F., Walsh, S. Miskewitz, R., Quierolo,
S. D. 2012. The Eastern Oyster (Crassostrea virginica) in the Hudson-Raritan
Estuary: Restoration versus shellfishery regulation. Environmental Practice 16(2):110-129.
- Ravit, B. Obropta, C., Kallin, P. 2008. Restoration of a forested riparian ecosystem: A baseline characterization approach to wetland enhancement in an urban watershed. Urban Habitats 5 (1):126-152.
- Ravit, B., 2008. Rohleder, L., Johnson, L., Ehrenfeld, J., Kallin, P. Restoration of a forested riparian ecosystem: A vegetation survey of Teaneck Creek wetlands. Urban Habitats 5(1):199-
- Obropta, C., Kallin, P., Mak, M., Ravit, B. 2008. Restoration of a forested riparian ecosystem: Modeling urban wetland hydrology 5(1):183-198.
- Ravit, B., Ehrenfeld, J.G., Haggblom, M.M., Bartels, M. 2007. The Effects of Hydrology and Nutrient Inputs on Two Estuarine Macrophytes and their Root-Associated Microbial Communities. Wetlands 27(4):915-927.
- Babson, D., Krogmann, U., Fennell, D., Ravit, B. 2007. Development of a dynamic energy balance to assess operating efficiency of the Burlington County bioreactor landfill in New Jersey (USA). Proceedings Sardinia 2007, Eleventh International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Cagliari, Italy.
- Haggblom, M. M., Fennell, D., Ahn, Y-B., Ravit, B. Kerkhof, L. 2006. Anaerobic dehalogenation of halogenated organic compounds: Novel strategies for bioremediation of contaminated sediments. In Viable Methods of Soil and Water Pollution Monitoring, Protection, and Remediation. NATO Science /series IV. Vol. 69. Springer. The Netherlands.
- Ravit, B., Turpin, B., Seitzinger, S. 2006. A Study to Link Atmospheric N Deposition with Surface and Groundwater N and Denitrification Capabilities in an Urban New Jersey Wetland. New Jersey Flows. 7(2).
- Ravit, B., Haggblom, M.M., Ehrenfeld, J.G. 2006. Salt Marsh vegetation affects rhizosphere microbial community structure and function. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38(8):2359-2371.
- Ehrenfeld, J. G., B. Ravit, Elgersma, K. 2005. Feedback in the Plant-Soil System. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 30:7.1-7.41.
- Ravit, B., Haggblom, M.M., Ehrenfeld, J.G. 2005.Salt Marsh Rhizosphere Affects
Biotransformation of a Widespread Halogenated Contaminant. Soil Biology & Biochemistry
- Ravit, B., Ehrenfeld, J.G., Haggblom, M.M. 2003. A Comparison of Sediment Microbial Communities Associated with Phragmites Australis and Spartina alterniflora in Two Brackish Wetlands of New Jersey. Estuaries 26(2B):465-474.